Tuesday, April 29, 2008

The Big Weekend




So Montana had a BIG weekend indeed. We had the annual Riverbank Run and the (Inaugural) Speedwagon Classic competitive cycling event in Polson. Peaks to Prairie went off on Sunday and I did none of them. And let me tell you, it about killed me. But I desperately needed a weekend to get some things done at the homestead and I passed on the events.


Looks like the Bank Run drew a very competitive field and the men in particular, threw down some blazing times. Whew, I would've been left in the dust! The Trifecta has become "The Race" and lots of Stampeders took on the challenge. Riki Peacock has been running strong and her time of 1:15:13 showed. The Sunday Long Runs must have payed off! Congrats to Justin Cloute for his Top 10 finish in the 5K at 17:53. And am I seeing what I think I'm seeing? Former/current cyclists, Heidi Stamm and Becky Broeder ran the 10K! OMG.


The men blazed with Zack Strong running a 31:48 in the 10K leg, going on to win the trifecta at 51:43! Wow. Primo Latino ran himself into a respectable 15th place and lots of other familiar names came out. Way to go boys.


Peaks to Prairie was on my race schedule. I raced it two years ago and loved it. I wanted to get back there and race it again, but wouldn't do it with my sea kayak. I gave up 17 minutes with my slow boat and didn't want a repeat. But we DID have two Stampeders make the long trip to eastern Montana to represent, David and Alison (Forney) Gorman. I don't have all the details, except that Alison WON the elite women's solo division and David WON the men's masters solo division. Right on guys! I can't wait to hear more about it.


And last, but certainly not least, the cyclists headed up to the Seeley's in Polson for the Speedwagon Classic. Nothing like a tough 50 miler, half on loose gravel roads to knock some sense into you, right Miles? Per Matt's email, it sounded like pain and fun was had by all. I do hope that I can race it next year. Congrats to the "winner" Bill Martin. This is the guy you're going to have to watch out for on the MTB circuit.


So there you have it. It's never a dull moment here in the Garden City and you can always find somebody doing something.

1 comment:

Bill said...

How could I get a copy of that photo of me with my arms up?