Monday, April 14, 2008

Rocky Mountain Roubaix - A Day in the Sun


To all you cycling fans and competitors out there, welcome.


This year's edition of the Rocky Mountain Roubaix was the largest that I've seen in recent years. The excellent weather and all of the hype payed off and we had well over a hundred racers come from all over the state, Washington and Idaho in order to participate in what is arguably the greatest local road race put on. And a big thanks for the Northern Rockies Orthopedic Team for putting on such a top notch event!

I couldn't believe all of the team vans, tents and banners when I arrived at 9 am. I swear that this looked more like a regional event than a local one. Cyclists were warming up, music was playing and the sun was shining. Today was going to be a GREAT day for a bike race.

Tamara, Steve, Shaun and Bob were running the show and the categories were growing by the minute. I counted 40 guys in the Cat4/5 field, and we would also be riding with the Masters! "There's nothing like sharing half of a dirt road with 60+ other riders", I thought. Looked like fun.

The Roubaix has been going for 20 years or so, started by veteran road racer Carl Ammons and some of the early Five Valley Velo riders. Over the years it has taken a variety of different forms, but for the past 3 years has been in Frenchtown, Montana. The race is held on the same day as the infamous Paris-Roubaix road race. Paris-Roubaix is known for its rough, cobblestone roads, inclimate weather and viscous attacks from the riders. It is a test of your resolve and good fortune, and it seems that the riders with both are those who reign victorious.

So on this brilliant Sunday, we all came to the line with the same thoughts on our minds: Would our legs hold? Would we have good luck? The next two hours would tell...

My plan was simple. Right before the gun went off I was chatting with Elliot and said that I would go off the front and force a chase. I doubted that anyone would want to chase me so early in the race and I was right. We all but rolled out and were still easing up to speed when I took off. No body responded and I was soon heading up the road alone. Nice! I got so far up the road that the lead car had to come up to me and I was riding my own race. My legs were feeling pretty good, so I kept it up. I thought, "If I could only get over the 6 Mile hill and drop down into the 9 Mile Valley, they would surely have to chase." I was right, and in the process, some strain was starting to be put onto the peloton.

I stayed away for about 12 miles when I was caught by the chase group, containing 3 of my teammates, Elliot, Brendan and Adam Jensen. Toby (NRO) and Brian (GAS) made is a lead group of six. The race was essentially over at this point as the rest of the group was perhaps a minute arrears and we had 6 strong riders. Only problem was that we had Jensen...and I was in desperate need of some recovery time for my legs, so after about 3 miles in the lead group, I was off the back. But I was feeling good. I had successfully launched 3 of my teammates up the road and likely to the win. I rode two more solo miles and then was caught by the group for some needed rest. For me the rest of the race was easy. Five Valley Velo was sitting pretty up front and my boys were content to keep the peloton rolling along...just not fast enough to catch the break.

We climbed up the hill on 9 Mile Rd. and there was a crash. One of the Muleterro riders crossed wheels and went down. Travis Howard (5VV) and possibly Greg Larsen were taken down, too.

Lap 2 also included a hard crash on the pavement of the westside road. We lost Willie Zelmer and NRO's riders Doug Shryock and Jeremy.

Five Valley Velo stayed to the front of the peloton and drove up over the 9 Mile and 6 Mile hills. At one point we were two minutes down from the leaders, but on the frontage road they were within 30 seconds!!! What were they doing? It was a good thing that the peloton could not get organized, or we would've caught them. Jeff Twohig was chompin' at the bit on the final stretch and wanted to be right on my wheel for the final climb up to the finish. I lead the guys onto Roman Creek Rd and up the lower stretches of the hill until guys started to go. Howard (GNC) Rob Gillespie and Kyle (5VV) and a Spokane Rocket Velo guy shot past me. I kept thinking to myself to hang on 'til the end. I did and we took the next 3 spots: Gillespie 4th, Kyle 5th and myself 6th. The Cat 4/5 results were five of six places belonging to Five Valley Velo. Elliot took the win, Brendan 2nd and Brian Frykman (GAS) 3rd. The rest of our guys including Twohig, Miles Key, Ely, Tom Sullivan and Dan Gager were all close behind. Excellent job team!

The Men's Cat 1/2/3 played out in similar fashion with an early breakaway, but this guy (Cat3) stayed with the lead group and took the "W" for the 3's, I believe. His teammate Eric Anderson took it for the 1/2's. Sportsman's Clint Mulfield took 2nd, and NRO's Josh Tack held it together for 3rd. I'm sorry, but I do not have the standings for the women, but Danyele, Joey, Nadia and Geraldine were all riding very well. Maybe we'll get a women's report...

So the 2008 version of Roubaix was a success in every way, except the weather, but no one was complaining. As promised, but maybe a little late, I've finally got the pictures posted for this weekend's Roubaix. Check out the photo album, Susan got some pretty sweet shots!


Looks like the big boys got their day in the sun, too. Check out Boonen.


2 comments:

Bill said...

Nice report and I love that photo!

ErikD said...

Thanks Bill. It was an awesome race! Lots of excitement and carnage...kind of like a cyclocross race.