Monday, April 21, 2008

The Tour of Walla Walla Report


This past weekend was the Banner Bank, Tour of Walla Walla. This is the first big, regional stage race of the year and has become ultra popular. And I can see why. The race was excellent. It was a well organized event that sold out WEEKS ahead of time and Five Valley Velo had a small team of Cat 4's to represent. Our team consisted of Kyle Shannon, Ely Wilkinson, Willy Zellmer and myself. Dan Gager was slated to go, but was unable and was truly missed.


The Cat 4 race consisted of a Time Trial, a Road Race and the Downtown Criterium on Sunday morning. This was also a stage race, which meant that cumulative time would determine the GC leader and not points like at Frozen Flatlands. We were all pumped up and ready to go Friday night, on our way to WW for the Saturday AM TT.


Saturday began as a big question mark in my mind. Would the weather hold? How would we do? It was cold and windy as we warmed up. Willy Z. would be first off, then Kyle, myself and Ely. I rode hard, but didn't feel strong in my legs. Maybe it was the long drive the night before. Who knows, but I came in 2;00+ behind the leaders and I immediately realized that this was going to be harder than I thought. On my way up to the line at the TT I saw Willy just after he came in, snot dripping from his nose. I asked him how it felt and he said, "okay." Well that okay turned out to be the best time for the team, coming in at 17:22. My nose didn't run, I came in at 18:03. Kyle and Ely were down another minute. Great job from our junior teammate!


2pm marked the beginning of our 60 mile road race, but I immediately felt better. I made sure to rest and stay off my feet during the 3+ hours in between the stages. Things started off slowly and really didn't pick up. There were a couple of spots that sped up, but the race was being run very conservatively. Two big teams, Starbucks and Cucina Fresca, both from Seattle, were running the show. I worked my way to the front at the climb to begin lap 2 and forced a gap, but the teams quickly sat up and allowed the peloton to rejoin. Frustrated I moved ahead before the biggest climb on the backside of the course and was joined by a junior from O'boy Oberto. We had a gap of 45 seconds to a minute and they weren't going to chase, so I made the plan to climb ahead of the peloton at tempo, but not too hard, with hopes that a break would happen to catch us at the top. And that's exactly what happened. With about a half mile to go, all of the GC contenders sprung free from the peloton and came by us. Junior and I latched on and pushed it over the top. Three riders got away, but only by seconds, as we descended to the valley floor. "Hot damn," I thought. I was in the chase group and the peloton was behind me. Maybe this would play out well for me. But as we hit the flats and began to motor towards the finishing climb ( a 3K slog uphill) I quickly noticed that my legs were failing me. I hoped to hold on until the final 3K, but got popped at the 10K marker. I had no legs left. Steve Zellmer (NRO) caught me just before the final climb, also dropped and frustrated with himself, and we climbed the hill. My legs gone, I lost 4 more minutes from the leaders and finished 26th. Kyle was another 32 seconds and Willy 1:13 down. Ely rode hard but lost 20 minutes. 72 of the 90 starters finished!


Saturday night was not for cryin' in your beer, it was just for beer (and burgers.) We had some good pub fare with Tamara's family and our adopted teammate Steve Zellmer. After all, he is Willy's dad! Dinner followed an early to bed and rest up for Sunday's race.


The Crit was awesome. The remaining 72 riders lined up for a fast and furious, forty minute race. I was just hoping to keep it upright, 'cause in a group of 70+ Cat 4's there's bound to be some carnage. The race was fast and clean for the most part. Willy, Steve and I tried to stay up front where the race was more predictable, and my legs felt good. Kyle and Ely got caught in the back and soon the peloton split. After 20 minutes the back half of the peloton was pulled, leaving about 40+/- to duke it out. With 3 laps to go, things started to heat up and on the last lap I was sitting about 12th, but couldn't move up. I took 14th, Steve 19th and Willy 21st. It was our strongest showing of the weekend and was good to see Montana in there with the rest of them.


Walla Walla was the first stage race for most of us and was a real learning experience. And even though we didn't place, we had a great time racing in a beautiful setting and I know that I'll be back next year, if only to redeem myself. Hope to see more teammates in the peloton next year!








Good job to all the Montana boys and girls for showing off, especially our 'cross town competitors in green! Here's a shot of B. Presta rounding corner #1 in the Cat3 Crit. This was the adrenaline-charged event of the weekend.


Erik

1 comment:

Bill said...

Thanks for the report. It is great to read about the local teams. Anyone going to the Speedwagon this weekend?