Tuesday, February 19, 2008

The Tour, Training, and Big Sky IPA


So I went for my first run in several weeks last night. There is something to be said about consistency! I could feel every step of the slow three mile run. I'm not a skier, per se, and I can only stand so much riding on the trainer, so when the wether gets really cold and ugly...I run.


I've run for years and actually enjoy it. I especially like Dean's Sunday Long Run. It's a great mix of personas and is always filled with interesting conversation (since we run at conversation pace.) The Sunday Run was my introduction into Team Stampede. When I knew no one, it was Dean who encouraged me to come out. I couldn't even run 5 miles, but I never felt out of place. There was always someone "going short" or having to get to the master's swimming session at 10:30, etc. My last Sunday run was 4 weeks ago, so I am looking forward to running this Sunday. I'm going to take advantage of running with a bunch of beat up runner's since several of them will be running the Snowjoke 1/2 Marathon this coming Saturday. That should make it easy for me to go short!


This time of the year is the time to get consistent with your running, biking, swimming and beer drinking . Not to much or too intense, just lots of consistency. Beginners should be logging in anywhere from 4 to 6 hours of workouts per week. In triathlon, or any other endurance sport, it's often easier to talk about your time spent doing the activity rather than the distance. I think this takes some of the stress out of meeting "goals" with regard to mileage. Remember, it's about consistency. This building up period is getting your body ready to put in more intense workouts when the weather starts to warm up. But that doesn't mean that you should forego any intensity training. One to two workouts per week can be of higher intensity in order to begin to condition your body to work more efficiently at those higher levels, the one's you'll be going into during racing season. Linsey's Grizzly Triathlon Training Plan is a good resource. This week she has you going out for 5+ hours. There are also many good books about training and racing, bicycles and triathlons.


Now to the serious business...beer and the Tour of California. So after my slog I just had to go over to the Pressbox and watch the TOC. What a way to get pumped! I met two friends, ordered up a pitcher of Big Sky IPA and settled in for the recap. Wasn't JJ Haedo's sprint incredible? If only I had a sprint like that...And our friend from UM was spotted again! I can't believe he's getting more press than me! Does anybody know that guy?


(Tonight's stage was just as good, but I only got to read it.)


It's so nice to see bicycle racing gain popularity in the US again. And to see so many US-based squads like High Road, Rock Racing, BMC, Bissell, Slipstream, Jelly Belly,Toyota United and Health Net all being represented in the race was exciting. I'd be VERY surprised if an American doesn't take the win this coming weekend. My money is on either Levi, Hincapie or Chris Horner.


No comments: