Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Wednesday Night: Training or Torture?

Okay, I knew that there was a reason for not going to MBW (Missoula Bicycle Works) on Wednesday nights, because they make me hurt! But that is just their intent. So I finally got up the nerve to get my untrained butt over there for a good dose of loud music, sweat, pain and an incredibly high heart rate. Talk about fun.

Alex was the torturer, I mean coach, for tonight's session, and I think he was trying to kill me. After our 10+ minute warm up, (you should get there 10-15 minutes before the starting time of 6:30 pm to get a longer one if you'd like) we went right into intervals. First they were 1 minute intervals, then two and three minute ones, all with only one minute recovery each. I knew it was going to be a good workout when I saw my HR rise and rise and not really come back down. I thought for a moment that maybe I had better see a doctor or something, but then had the reassurance from the group that this was perfectly normal. An hour later we were done and feeling good about all of the hard work that we had just survived. The endorphins felt good too.

So looking back, a good, hard effort is needed in order for your body to get used to "race pace." Remember, if you don't train fast, how do you think you'll race?

It was good to see two juniors, two women and many of my 5VV teamies there. Kudos to all who came. Also, remember that there are only two more weeks of trainer workouts left, so try and come. When the pace isn't too high to talk, there are actually some really nice people there.

E

No comments: