Saturday, March 8, 2008

Bike Riding Etiquette




Well I'm seeing more and more bikes on the road. Good job to all of those who are getting out! I took an easy, hour long ride last night after work and started to think about things. First, as I was riding on Blue Mountain Rd. I thought of how much I love riding the bike. It felt so good to be out there riding on a country road with minimal traffic, enjoying the scenery and feeling alive. I could do this forever, I thought, until I was buzzed by a big truck. That brought me back to the reality that I wasn't the only one on the road.


As wrong as it was for him to gun his engine and pass me very closely, I didn't let it get to me (much). I just kept on riding my line and quickly got back to my daydreaming...It did make me think that as spring approaches, there will be many more groups of riders out there and also more cars as tourist season begins in May. So I thought that I'd say just a few words about bicycling in traffic.


First, I'd like to acknowledge that as cyclists we do have rights on the road, but I have always followed the law of sizes and a bicycle just doesn't have it against a car.


1. Groups of bicycles should ride single file, unless someone is passing. This is particularly important on some of our narrower roads with little to no shoulder. I'm talking mainly about Big Flat Rd. and Mullan Rd. This also happens to be where the Tuesday Night Hell Ride goes and is a common spot for biker/driver conflict.


2. Cyclists should obey ALL traffic laws. This includes stopping at all stop signs and lights, riding on the right side of the road, staying off the sidewalk (unless you're under 15), signalling before changing lanes, etc. The more obvious it is that a cyclist is following the rules of the road, the more courteous the drivers will be. I have seen this many times and this is the Numero Uno reason that motorists get pissed at cyclists!


3. Stay as far to the right as is possible and safe to do so. I know that our roads are crappy, especially this time of year, but cars DO NOT realize this and they will get angry. Good communication in the group to announce an approaching car from behind is crucial to getting the group in single file and to the right BEFORE the car gets right up behind us. It also shows the motorist that we are trying to do the right thing.


4. Do not antagonize the motorists. It's like trying to pet a bear. First off it's never a good idea, 'cause Bubba may just have a gun, or be a former heavyweight boxer. And face it, most of us aren't the buffest of individuals. Now I have been guilty breaking this rule, but have been trying over the past few years to break myself of this habit. I just smile and wave now and realize that it's not me who has anger management issues! What I do take with me is a cell phone to call 911 if I do have a bad confrontation. I have also gotten good at remembering license plate numbers.


So there you have it boys and girls. This is just a friendly reminder to be alert of your actions as a cyclist when you head out there. We can all be good Ambassadors of the road and help make Missoula's roads more friendly. Have a fun time out there this weekend and throughout the summer, don't let those pesky cars get to you and remember that having a positive attitude about sharing the road will make for a much less stressful outing.






No comments: