Saturday, March 8, 2008

Saturday Group Ride Anyone?


Wow, after missing last week's group ride, I was quite surprised to see about twenty riders show up at Bernice's Bakery for the ride today. It seems the Saturday nooner is a hit among the local masochists, um, I mean cyclists. I guess spring is just about here and cyclists are sprouting up left and right. And Kudos to all of you triathletes that came out for a spin. I'd have to say that it was just about 50/50 today. Also represented in big numbers were both Green and Orange. You all know who you are.


So Tamara headed west along a familiar route. I thought to myself that it was kind of reminding me of a certain Tuesday Night route, hmm. We spun out to McClay bridge and then headed up the hill and onto Big Flat Road...and it was either spring jitters or a little too much muscle memory, but we started to go! Man it feels good to go. I guess cyclists must share some DNA with thoroughbreds or something.


So along Big Flat we rode, but we were beginning to fragment a little, so first Kyle and then I went back to regroup with anyone off the back. Good job Lisa for coming out and trying to hang with the "Big Boys." Pushing yourself to ride with us is great training and you're getting stronger every week.


Mullan Road was it's usual struggle for your piece of asphalt. Lots of cars today, but surprisingly few angry motorists. My personal observation is that we were a little squirrely, took up a little too much of the road, but kept things together pretty well, and without anyone going down. My body's observation was that this was a hard training ride. We had lots of surges and sprints which were really challenging. It was feeling more like a Tuesday as the ride went on!


We rode out to Frenchtown, then out to the end of the pavement up Six Mile. A couple NRO riders decided to go on, probably scouting out the Roubaix course, while the rest of us were content to turn it around and head on home. A good pace back to Frenchtown and retracing our steps back to Missoula. It was roughly 60 miles today for the bunch. There were a couple of riders that pulled off at the mill, for 32+/- miles, too. A little something for everyone.


So see what you're missing? I couldn't think of a better way to punish myself for two or three hours on a Saturday than this!


See you Sunday or next week at high noon.

No comments: