Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Correo al Infierno

The Tuesday Night Hell Ride! It's finally here. I guess that the spring racing season is upon us and soon the roads will be littered with Lycra wearin', leg shavin' characters that are bound and determined to get in the way of angry motorists and generally be up to no good at all.

I raced to get out of work by 5:30 and would backtrack until I met up with the group that leaves Open Road Bicycles at the same time. Today's forecast was for winds and weather, so I wasn't sure how many would come out. I met five other brave souls and wondered where everybody was. I know that we're getting the pm rides started early this year, but I expected a few more of the veterans. But we had a good group that included John Weyrich, Steve and Willie Zellmer, myself, Travis and newcomer, Caroline. The weather was holding for the moment and we were going to make the best of it!

I made the first break while climbing up Big Flat and I was pleasantly surprised to see Willie right on my wheel. Willie is our Junior, Cat 4 racer and tonight's ride really impressed me. He is maturing nicely, getting some legs on that lanky frame and his bike handling was as smooth as silk tonight. Great riding Willie! I'm looking forward to racing with you this year.

Veteran riders John and Steve kept up a smooth paceline at tempo and we all cycled through. Caroline may be a newbie, but with John's instruction, was taking a few pulls herself and held a good line.

The sprints and subsequent hills hurt as usual. Tonight's ride was my sixth day on the bike and although only two of the days were "hard" days, I was feeling it on the tough sections. Note to self: bring out the road bike next time!

Travis and John battled it out on the first sprint, even after I left him out front a little longer than usual. I must have been daydreaming. We headed for home after the Wye and did the Goodin Ln hill to the top before rolling back to Missoula. All in all, it was a good workout. Not too hard for this time of the year and definitely a good training ride. For all of you who thought that the weather would suck, you missed a beautiful ride. Better make it out for the next one!

A few more announcements: looks like the ladies will be riding on Thursday nights at 5:45 from Bernice's. This starts in a week. 3/20?

The Team ride takes off from MBW, Thursdays at 5:30, starting this week. This has historically been for TS5VV members, but we haven't been discriminating the NRO riders or anyone who just wants to check us out. It's an easy day, so anyone should be able to do it.

Frozen Flatlands RR registration is now open. The Orange Crush will be there in force and we welcome anyone and everyone to sign up and race. It's a two day event, but you can do only one day if you like. Saturday 4/5 is the 60 min circuit and Sunday is the 50 mile road race.

Track workouts started tonight at 6pm for those of you who like to take sledgehammers to your knees. Did I just say that?

Have a great week!

No comments: