Saturday, March 22, 2008

Missoula Training Race #1...It's a Beautiful Day




So you know things aren't going to go well when you flat on the way out to the start...hmm.




Today's racing should have been flawless. After all, today was arguably the nicest day we've had all year, or at least all week. I froze my @$$ off on Tuesday night, did a little sprinting on Thursday and what for? That's okay, at least there is next weeks race.


So today was a GREAT showing. I don't know the numbers, but it looked like more than a hundred riders came out to Clinton, Montana for the first of two road races. There were three groups of riders ranging from novices "C Group" to the experts, the "A Group." It was good to see a few women (at least 7) and a bunch of juniors.


The C's were massive as were the B's. Lot's of up and coming riders. Our A group was the smallest at about a dozen. I was riding with Elliot and Miles, NRO had three, Montana Velo had two, Bill Martin (Mr. Unattached) and a few other guys (???). It would be our job to chase both groups and try to catch them. Each group headed out at 10 minute intervals. The gun sounded and we were off.


So this is how it went down as I understood it. The C's had a major blowout by team member Kevin. This caused quite a scene for the juniors who began to swerve and...CRASH. Carnage. Bodies and bicycles flying everywhere! And this was within the first two miles! This was unfortunate, but was a learning lesson (remember, TRAINING race). Rule number 1, NEVER take your eyes off of what's happening in front of you and NEVER look back. This split up the peloton and also caused several riders their race.


The B's raced clean, but had some problems working together to reel in the breakaway. Good job to all the women that hung tough in this group! Five Valley Velo was representin' in this group with about 6 guys.


The A's were small and it would take a miracle to catch the B's. At the gun we rode off and almost immediately hammered. Elliot and I pushed it hard to keep a gap from forming and I almost immediately felt my rear wheel go soft. ARRGH! A mile or so into the race and I was flat again. So I rode back to the start and began to change out my flat. My race was technically over, but I hoped to rejoin the field and get in a little practise. I got back in and chased for half a lap and then had to wait for the train...then I flatted, again! I think that maybe I was supposed to watch this one.


The C's had a few really strong riders that will certainly race "B" next week. My man Travis to 2nd in the sprint.


The B's got a breakaway that included Jason, Scott from Spokane Rocket Velo and a guy I don't know (Saeco). Saeco took it, Jason was in 2nd and Scott, 3rd.


The A's came in together and the sprint seemed to string things out a lot. Elliot just missed the win. Montana Velo's Frank Gonzales was 3rd. First was another out-of-towner.




So there you have it. I hope to get some pictures posted on Yahoogroups. I'll get a link for you soon.




Sunday ride tomorrow at 10 am. Sunday run at 8 am. I'll try and do both, since I was shorted the better part of a good workout today.

3 comments:

Bill said...

Nice photo ErikD! I look like a loser with all that baggy clothing. I look a little overdressed as well. Oh well, it was fun times. I hope next week it is warm so I can wear a kit and at least look the part. Man, my bike also looks weak ... doh! I'll keep readers of my blog up to date with yours. I subsribed to the rss. Ride hard!

ErikD said...

I hope I can just get a chance to race the entire race! Like I said Bill, you looked like you were riding very well, so we'll give you a break on the looks. Just call it "retro".

Erik

Kyle said...

Erik, sometimes new rims have burrs where the nipple holes are drilled. Remove your tire/tube and the rim tape and feel around all of the holes drilled into the rim. Unless of course you found a finishing brad in your tire like I did last night, or another such obvious problem with the tire.