Wednesday, March 5, 2008

The Thursday BRICK

This has long been the staple of many a triathlete's training regimen, that is, going out there and pulling a double workout, back-to-back. Midweek is good because you are likely going to do some longer distance workouts over the weekend and the first of the week is recovery.



I'm not much of a triathlete, but I enjoy both running and cycling, and I am into the whole endurance thing. So I've done bricks for
many years now and I'd have to say that I like them.
I like them because they're hard and make me tired
(cuts down on the medication). I like them because
they really boost my confidence as an athlete and are
such an accomplishment. I like them because not many
people can/will do them. I like them for their training benefits.


So why do a brick? As Jeff B. said, it's the best way to train your tired legs to get up and go after being on the bike for a while. And this is just what we have to do in a triathlon. Also, it should force us to work on our hydration and nutrition, as the distance has now lengthened beyond our glycogen stores. Nutrition and hydration are extremely important in multisport races or endurance events.




So where will you be biking and running on your next brick? I think I'll ride up to Potomac then run up the Rattlesnake...but maybe not tomorrow!




PS. Thanks to Dean for the photos. Remember, the Garden City Triathlon is set for September 6, 2008!

1 comment:

ErikD said...

So how was your Thursday BRICK?

Mine was great! It was a beautiful evening and I had the chance to get out and see the sunset. Let me know how you did!

I rode 22 miles and ran 4 miles.
Time: 1:09 and 31:38 for 1:40:38 total.